The roof is one of the most important aspects of any home. It protects the property and family from many potential factors that can cause damage. A new roof can last for many years, but it will eventually require some attention.
Shingles go missing, roof leaks occur, or the entire roof needs to be replaced. For the safety of the home, its occupants, and many other reasons, it is best to hire a professional roofing company to take care of roofing maintenance or repair needs. Attempting your roofing project can be hazardous and costly.
Some homeowners find DIY projects fun and cost-saving. Some projects are easier to do while others may require outside help. When it comes to replacing or repairing the roof, however, it's best to have skilled roofing professionals to handle it.
A roofing project can’t be completed effectively simply by following tutorials or Pinterest boards. Without the proper training and experience, a DIY roofing project would be a disaster. Inexperienced roofers can often cause more harm than good.
Risks of a DIY Roofing Project
Homeowners who attempt to do the roofing work themselves take on several risks.
- Safety. Roofing is considered one of the most dangerous jobs in the country. Carrying equipment and tools up and down a ladder poses serious safety risks. Even professionals are at risk of falling and sustaining injuries. One could easily trip on the equipment on the roof.
The physical labor associated with roofing is nothing to joke about. Back and neck injuries can happen due to the strain of the work. Besides the risk of personal injury, the roof could collapse due to conditions that can cause damage. Not only does this cause bodily harm, but it can also result in more damage to the home.
- Create More Problems. When a professional roof contractor is hired, the risk of additional problems arising is minimized. Professional roof contractors have the experience and knowledge needed when it comes to fixing roofs. They follow specific industry standards and processes and use the right equipment to ensure the roof is repaired or installed correctly.
- Financial. Many homeowners take on DIY roofing projects because they feel it’s cheaper. If the roof is installed incorrectly, however, more money will be spent on repairs and correcting the mistakes. Additionally, a poor roof installation can produce gaps and cracks that allow air to leak into your home. This can result in an increase in energy bills.
- Voided Warranties. Most roofing companies and products are protected with warranties that cover defects and labor. Warranties can be voided if someone other than a qualified professional performs any work on the roof.
- Liability. Professional roofers are licensed, bonded, and insured. This covers the cost of any damages or injuries that occur during the roofing project. Homeowners are not covered by such protection. If anything happens, they will be liable for costs resulting from accidents.
3 Reasons You Should Hire a Roofing Professional
- Experience: A professional roofing contractor is well-trained, allowing them to perform a new roofing installation that will last, which lowers the risk of potential problems like storm damage and regular wear and tear.
- Time: A team of roofing experts will be able to complete a new roofing installation in a much shorter timeframe than an amateur can. Most professionals can complete a roofing project within a day.
- Costs: Hiring a professional to install a roof may cost more upfront, but a shoddy roof job will cost more in the long run, particularly if you need to have it repaired more often.
About Brian Dawson Roofing
Brian Dawson Roofing has provided residential and commercial customers with quality workmanship and service for 20 years and counting. The roofing experts at Brian Dawson Roofing have the experience coupled with the necessary training and equipment to ensure that each roofing project is done right.