Did you know that the average 30 year shingle is being replaced every 8-12 years?
So how do you extend the life of your roof? As a homeowner, my first thought would be, "But I paid for a 30 year shingle. Shouldn't my roof last at least 30 years?"
The Number One cause of premature roof failure is improper installation.
It all comes down to how the roof was installed. Installing a new roof over the top of old one, improper nailing, rotted wood, not using underlayment, improper ventilation, and reusing the old roof flashings are just a few of the most common roofing mistakes that we see out in the field.
The Number Two cause of premature roof failure is IMPROPER MAINTENANCE.
Just like a car will require oil changes, tires and brake pads, a roof requires maintenance to extend its life. Problem Prevention is your best solution to extending the life of your roof.
Unfortunately, when it comes to roofing, often times homeowners take an "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" approach. We frequently believe that if our roofs are not leaking then we do not need to bother with them. This approach is poor asset management. Too many homeowners havebeen burned by premature roof failure that could have been easily prevented with routine maintenance.
Here are a few facts about residential roofs:
- More than 80 percent of all roofs are replaced prematurely (typically between 8-12 years)
- Repairs and maintenance costs thousands of dollars less than roof replacement
- A roof maintenance program can save up to 50% over the life of a 30-year roof compared to replacing it every 8-12 years.
- A roof leak can last for days, weeks, or months before it is noticed inside the building
- Insurance companies do not cover damage caused by improper homeowner maintenance or unusual wear and tear due to negligence
According to the NRCA, "Roof system maintenance is often the most neglected area of a roof management program. It's also the single most important factor (after proper installation) for determining the life span and cost of a roof system."
Brian Dawson Roofing provides the first year maintenance program free of charge with the installation of a new roofing system.
Our on-going maintenance program includes the following services performed once a year:
- Complete roof inspection/evaluation
- Clean roof of debris
- Branch trimming for limbs touching the roof
- Skylight Cleaning
- Advise the homeowner of any repairs that are necessary and provide a free estimate
- Inspect and clean gutters & downspouts
- Inspect flashings at all penetrations and curbs including pipes, skylights, walls, etc.
- Photographic and written documentation of the roof condition
- 10% discount on all of our repair services
For existing roofs not installed by Brian Dawson Roofing, maintenance programs are available after a thorough roof audit is conducted by one of our project managers.
Starting your maintenance program now can help you get the maximum service life out of your existing roof and reduce collateral damage caused by prematurely failing roof.