10 Questions to Ask a Professional Roofer
There will be times when hiring a roofing professional is necessary. Whether the roof needs inspecting, repair or a complete replacement, there are criteria that are important factors to consider. Before signing any agreements with a roofing contractor, get answers to the following:
- Full Company Name and Address. The full company name can assist in checking references and reviews. Any credible roofing company should have a physical location. If they give a post office box, ask where they are physically located. If the company can’t give you that information, it’s a warning sign that they may be storm chasers. It could also indicate that the person is doing roofing jobs “on the side”.
- Experience. How long has the company been in business? What is the experience level of the roofers who will be doing the work?
- Use of Subcontractors. If the company uses subcontractors to do any of the work, the subcontracting company should meet the same standards and qualifications as the primary company. In other words, they should be asked the same questions.
- Proof of Insurance. Workmen’s compensation and liability insurance are important to cover any injuries to a worker or damage to the property during the project. This protects the homeowner from being responsible for the costs resulting from these events.
- References. Ask for names and contact information of the company’s customers. Make sure to follow through and contact these references to get their feedback on their recommendations and any issues that arose during their project, if any.
- Warranties. Ask if the contractor offers any warranties on their work. This includes both the roof products and labor.
- Point of Contact. There should be one person to contact for questions or problems. It could be the on-site foreman, the office manager, or the company owner.
- Estimates. Ask if they provide written estimates. Are the estimates free only if that company does the work? How much detail is included in the written estimate? It should include the cost of materials, labor, clean-up, hauling away old materials, and any other items that may arise.
- Inclement Weather. During the project, there could be rain, snow or strong winds that prevent roofers from working. Ask how they will secure the site during these breaks to avoid damages to property and possessions.
- Refuse Disposal. There are lots of materials that will need disposal, especially during a roof replacement. Will the contractor bring a dumpster for this purpose? Where will it be located on the premises? Make sure it’s not parked where it will damage the driveway or landscaping.
Hire an Experienced Local Roofer
Brian Dawson Roofing, LLC has been in the roofing business for over 40 years. It is a family-owned and operated roofing company based in Wentzville, Missouri. They have served thousands of satisfied residential and commercial customers in Wentzville, St. Charles, O’Fallon, St. Peters, Lake St. Louis and other cities and towns in the area.
Brian Dawson Roofing is an active member of the community, participating in local Chambers of Commerce and business groups. Their customers are also their neighbors, so they are there when questions or issues arise. They expertly assist customers in traversing through the quagmire of the insurance claims process.
Call Brian Dawson Roofing, LLC for all roofing needs, including inspections, repairs, maintenance, and installation. They are happy to answer any and all questions. Contact them today for a free quote.